Saturday, November 7, 2009

Flying in Circles

The first few days he was gone, I felt like I was walking around with shoes that didn't quite fit. They were two big: they kept falling off, but I didn't have any way of fixing them. I was stuck with these shoes for a while and stuck with not having any clear path or direction. How is it that after living my own adult life for a decade, directing my life and making a billion daily choices, he is gone and I forget how it's all done?

After he flew off, back home, for a two week stay, I lay in a hot bath and tried to read a magazine to keep my mind off the gnawing emptiness creeping into my belly. I tried to relax enough to let the warm water soothe the ache that threatened to suck up any peace I had left within. Instead, I closed my eyes and visualized exactly how I felt. Somehow, putting it to words grounded me. One line came, and I sang it to the steamy tiled walls of my bathroom:

It feels like I'm flyin in circles
When you're gone I have only one wing
It feels like I'm flyin in circles
Still, I'll fly till I see you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment