Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Beginning of... (part one)

So I wasn't even sure if I wanted to write about this date in particular. This date, which next to the others basically launched into another hemisphere. Part of me is so giddy, so morning-after, so pinch-me-I-must-be-dreaming, that I was going to avoid writing about it altogether. But, no. I had a good date, dammit, and I want to write it down. These don't come too often. This was not a blind date. Perhaps that is why it was so wonderful, or at least, had the potential for wonderful. I had not been particularly interested until AFTER I had gone out with The Narcissist and Music Buddy. Beginning Guy is someone I see fairly regularly, and he had been suggested to me by several mutual friends as a possible date. But I just didn't see it. I was at that place of already beginning to feel discouraged and tired by this experiment, when he walked in the door. It was one of those moments when feelings surface that you can't explain. All I knew was that he was a sight for sore eyes. And so, after a week of stalking him and slightly obsessing, I gave him my number. Oh-so-casually, on a sticky note. And he called the very same night.

I won't include many background details, since I don't want to blow my chances with a wonderful man. So, I will focus on myself in the situation and the positive things he did throughout the night and definitely made me sit up and pay attention...the way I felt when I was with him, the things he did and said that have caused this morning-after haze. (Warning, this may be a chore: My mind and body were fairly buzzing with giddiness from the moment he came to my door until he took me back home again. And the wine had -very little- to do with it.) Seriously, my mind was like mush. I am in retrospect amazed that there was any intellectual conversation going on at all.

We had decided that he would pick the place for dinner and a drink or dessert afterward. When he came to my door, I asked how he was and he said (he had just returned from a camping trip),"Tired and wound up at the same time." Naturally, I thought that was adorable,(that began a disturbing trend) and we hugged in greeting.

He opened my door for me and said, "I just wanted to tell you that you look really nice." So sweet! I am going to spare the details. If you want a blow-by-blow, give me a call. Or stop by my house. But, here's the bottom line: I like him.

I like the way I feel when I am with him: light, and giddy, but then at the same time very much myself. As the evening progressed, I felt more and more relaxed. It was almost as if this wasn't a first date; it was like I was spending time with someone I care about, someone I already know. As opposed to someone I am just getting to know. (This might be laying it on thick, but, well, deal.)

We went into a toy shop as we walked along Pearl Street, and we explored and played. We got lost in the colors and squishy things and propellers. I kept trying to get hand-spinning propeller going, to get it to fly. And every time it hit the ground, he picked it up for me to try again. I liked that. I never once felt like I should be embarrassed or not good enough, or that I needed to apologize for something. (Even when my propeller, which finally took flight, wacked the salesperson in the face.)

He has a childlike innocence. I like that he doesn't even realize how attractive he is. I like him now, for many of the reasons I wasn't interested before. I keep calling him 'basic,' which to me isn't negative. (After all, that is what John Cusack is accused of on his first date that led toward true love in Say Anything.)

The end of the night went well, with enough of the end of the first date awkwardness thrown in. We talked about a pub we both like. He asked about my schedule. We sat in his car with the motor off, and to avoid the awkwardness, I went for the hug, and thanked him for a nice time. Another hug, he promised to call, and that was the date.

STAY TUNED
Will there be another date? Should I reply to the Music Buddy's request to go out? As a maverick in the world of dating more than one person at a time, I don't know what to do. Honestly, I don't know if I WANT to do that. It's not like Beginning guy has promised anything, or that I can peer into our future. I still need to keep my options open, right? But today I had the chance to see a guy I have been wanting to give my number to, and instead, I just went home. My mind was too full of Beginning guy. So, does this mean I end all other dating? I don't like the idea of really liking someone and then going out with someone else. But then again, isn't that part of dating? I would soo appreciate your feedback, experience, etc. Until next time.

4 comments:

  1. Good post! Thanks for inviting strangers like me along :) I think you should stick with Beginning guy for now -- not with a "this could be the One" attitude, but more a "I'm casually enjoying this guy's company without the distractions of other guys" attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea. I was thinking the same thing. I want to 'feel' this for a while, without the confusion of someone else. Thanks for your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate! Love the blog, love the experiment! I wish you all the best and can't wait to see what happens with Mr. Beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful writing about what turned out to be a really good date! the part that stands out to me is something that i have experienced with my 'other' right from the start, that feeling that we've known each other for a very long time...that sense that it is not totally new even when it is. such a mystery. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete